Different Ways to Reduce Skin Inflammation
Skin inflammation is also known as dermatitis. It can occur due to various causes and is of many types too. When your skin comes in direct contact with any kind of irritant it becomes inflamed so that the foreign body’s attack can be warded off. You might experience a bump and the skin color too might change.
Reducing skin inflammation
If you are wondering how skin inflammation can be reduced, try these ways to reduce skin inflammation at home as soon as you experience it.
- Wash inflamed skin gently – As the skin is already irritated, it is recommended to simply wash the affected area with warm water and soap in a gentle manner as excessive rubbing will only increase the irritation. Avoid using commercial soaps as they will increase the inflammation and dry out the skin even more. Pat the area dry with a clean towel.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream – Hydrocortisone creams are available over-the-counter and help reduce inflammation while also providing relief to the affected area. Use a small quantity of the cream avoiding delicate areas such as eyes or mouth.
- Consume antihistamine medication – Such medications help to reduce the inflammation and irritation while also soothing it. However, it is advisable to consume such medications under the guidance of your doctor only.
- Assess your diet – It may happen that you might be allergic to a specific food item which is causing the inflammation. Assess the food you are eating throughout the day and try to find out items which might be irritating you. Add onions to your diet as they contain natural antihistamine properties while reduce tomato intake as they might have an opposite effect.
- Use calamine medicated lotions – Lotions that contain medicated calamine in it help reduce inflammation while also providing a soothing sensation in the affected area. Avoid those lotions which contain fragrance in them as this might increase the inflammation instead of reducing it. Apply 3-4 times a day for best results.
- Avoiding rubbing or scratching the affected area – Constant touching, scratching and rubbing of the inflamed area can aggravate the inflammation and increase it. If the area itches a lot, simply pat the area once in a while without using your nails at all.
- Refrain from covering your wound – Do not cover the inflamed area with any kind of bandage but instead allow your skin to breathe as much as it can. Do not expose the wound to sudden temperature changes as this might increase the inflammation.
- Wear loose and protective clothing – When a part of your body is inflamed, avoid wearing tight clothes which can increase inflammation and irritation. Wear loose clothes which will protect your skin from dust, cold and other environmental factors.
- Applying bay leaves – Boil around 5 bay leaves with a cup of water. Let it cool, strain and pour the strained water in a pan. Dip a clean cloth in this water and squeeze out extra. Apply the cloth to inflamed skin to reduce inflammation and related itching.
Benefits of Drinking Excess Water
Let’s make this clear at the beginning. Nothing in excess is good, not even water. Try having twenty glasses of water at one go and you will feel the pain. But that being said, our definition of excess water, is water intake above normal and there can be plenty of instances you would need more water than normal.
Water is life. It is one of the major components of the human body without which it is impossible to survive. 60 to 70 percent of our body is composed of water and its regular and adequate consumption have innumerous health benefits associated with it. The major benefits of drinking excess water that is around 12 to 15 glasses of water every day are mentioned below.
- Reduces fatigue – With less water, the blood volume drops and makes the heart work harder than it normally does. This reduces the efficiency of the body and may result in fatigue leading to dehydration. Drinking enough water helps maintain the blood volume and all the major organs function just as they should.
- Improves your mood – Even the mildest of dehydration can have a negative impact on your mood and hamper your ability to think straight. Studies reveal that staying well hydrated can improve your mood, help in proper cognitive function and also help you stay happy. The lighter the color of your urine, the better your level of hydration is. If you pass deep colored urine, it means you are getting dehydrated.
- Treats migraine and headache – People who suffer from regular headache or migraine should resort to drinking excessive water every day before popping various pills in their mouth. Dehydration results in headache and migraine and that too severe ones. With excessive intake of water, the intensity of headache reduces considerably.
- Flushes out toxins – Water is a great detoxifier that helps flush out all kinds of toxins from your body and also eliminates waste through urine and sweat. It reduces kidney stones by diluting those minerals and salts in our urine that cause such stones in the first place. The kidney functions properly with excessive water intake.
- Helps digestion – Proper water intake helps to improve the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract which aids in digestion and prevents constipation from taking place. Constipation occurs when colon pulls out water from your stool in order to maintain hydration in the body thereby making it hard and difficult to pass.
- Regulates body temperature – Adequate amount of water in the body regulates the body temperature. Water helps heat to get released from the body in the form of sweat and this helps maintain a proper body temperature.
- Makes your skin quite healthy – Drinking excess water has innumerous benefits on your skin. Water improves the blood flow in your capillary and promotes younger-looking and healthy skin with every passing day. Water replenishes the skin tissues, moisturizes it from within and also increases the skin’s elasticity thereby making it firmer and tighter than before. It soon gets a fresh, soft and glowing look which is hard to miss. Sufficient water in the system helps treat fine lines, wrinkles scars, acne and other similar aging symptoms with ease.